Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Nature Time!!

The other day I ran back to the office to grab some papers from my co-teacher, Siena's, desk for class and I couldn't find them so I started looking around and happened to open a flat box that was lying on top of her desk...not really paying attention to all the air holes punched into the top of the box.  To my horror it was filled with silk worms chowing down on leaves! All that registered in my head was, "they're alive!!"  So naturally I slammed the lid shut and fled forgetting all about the papers.  After class we examined the silk worms and she offered me one to take home...I had to decline...I knew I would let it die...I couldn't even bear the sight of it.

Anyway, that Friday I got to on a field trip with 502 to the Yilan Green Expo.  A couple days before we went my LET, Siena, handed me an ID badge and told me I'd need it to get into the Expo. Well I took a look at it and there was my grinning face...the only problem was that it was a picture from Halloween when I had dressed as a pirate!  So naturally I exclaimed, "This is the best picture you could find?!?"  But she said the rest she had of me were blurry and it didn't matter because no one would be looking at it anyway.  Well, before we even went inside on Friday, the students were all looking at my badge mainly to read my Chinese name, but then one of them noticed the picture, took a good look, and yelled, "Teacher Charissa used to be a pirate!!!" as he went running away. Wonderful.

Yep, this is what I wore all day
Well, the day was a lot of fun but one of the first things we did was watch a horrifying performance of these giant frogs who danced around and sang.  Later there was also a magician who was equally terrifying.  Basically, the magician wanted to steal the frogs' memories in order to somehow build a chemical plant where their homes are, but thanks to the littlest frog (there on the right of the picture) his plan was thwarted.




I thought the show was for children but the majority of the audience looked more like this.  And yes, the one in the red hat was most definitely asleep
The rest of the time we walked around looking at things.  They were going to have a more structured lesson that afternoon but I was only there for the morning.  I had a lot of fun hanging out with the kids outside of English class.
The kids are checking out the bees pollinating the flowers

Everyone became enthralled by this bee on the ground...well, except for the fellow who's using his umbrella as a gun

2 comments:

  1. Chari, I hope you can bring your pirate ID badge with you when you return home! That will be a wonderful souvenir treasure. -Uncle Rich

    ReplyDelete