Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Honeymoon Bay


Oh the weekend.  I love weekends.   So on Friday evening my three neighbors (Fiona, Emily and Tyler) and two roommates (Margaux and Sarah) and I decided to try some pizza so we walked to a place and it ended up being so good!!  I wasn’t sure how it was going to be, but I was not disappointed!  Over pizza we decided we should go see a movie.  The movies here are played in English with Chinese subtitles, which makes it really easy for us. 

So we walked along to find the movie theater and on the way we saw Kelly, our director, who was just leaving work! Such dedication.  She also gave us some tips about going to the movie, like we should buy our tickets outside the theater because it’s cheaper and then go in to reserve our seats for the movie we want.  She also told us we can bring our own food and drinks into the theater.  Score!!  So we bought our tickets at the tea shop across the street and went up to the 7th floor where the theater is to reserve our spots for the Bourne Legacy.  Once we did that and discovered that we had about an hour and a half to kill before the movie started, we headed to the elevator so we could leave to pick up some snacks.  Naturally, I pressed the down button but once we piled in the elevator it started going up.  It came to a stop on the 8th floor.  The doors slowly opened to reveal a completely dark floor that was roped off.  It was completely like a scene from a horror movie, I only wish I could convey the terror that spread over me (well, I don’t actually want anyone else to experience that) but apparently I screamed and once the doors closed, I found myself kind of cowering in the back of the elevator against Emily although I don’t remember actually getting back there.  Anyway, everyone was really creeped out by it, and someone had the presence of mind to press the door-closing button.  We picked up some more people on the 11th floor and as we were finally going down we were trying to figure out why we stopped on the 8th floor.  I thought maybe someone inside had pressed that button and just got off on a different floor, and that’s when we realized that there was no button for the 8th floor!!!  Absolutely terrifying.

After this harrowing episode we eventually saw the movie, which was stressful for me as well, just because it’s very action-packed and I felt a little too involved.  Despite this, it was still a super fun night!

Saturday we went to Honeymoon Bay , which is known for surfing.  It’s no surprise that I didn’t partake in any surfing but it was really fun just to be there and hang out.  Also, the sand is black and I think I was told it was from volcanic ash or something...although I should probably check on that.  Whatever it is, it really clings to a person.  I had sand on my face basically all day, despite trying to brush it off with water and then when it was dry too.  And I know I called this post Honeymoon Bay and didn't really say much about it at all, but I just really like the way it sounds.  It sounds like it should be a place in a book!

Just some views during out walk from between the train station and the actual beach



Then on Sunday we went to the local winery just to check it out since it’s really close to our apartment.  It was really interesting!  There were all kinds of craft-type thing around and it seemed like most of the people there were families.  We got to watch this man pulling taffy.  Well, it actually wasn’t taffy but it looked like it, but then he gave us samples afterwards and it really just kind of tasted like burnt sugar, but better because it was so cool looking.  He stretched the taffy out super far and then draped it on a stick and he obviously had the timing down perfectly because right when he was done he started cutting it with a scissors because by then it had gotten crispy.

It just looked like liquid gold.  I really wanted to touch it.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment