Well, I haven't done a super great job about keeping this updated in the last while but I figured I should at least say something before I leave, if only to let people know that I'll be returning to Minnesota in a few days. Yes, I'll be getting landing in Minneapolis the morning of the 4th of July. It's going to be fun to have my immediate family together again for the first time (well, excluding a couple of moments on Skype) in over 18 months!
The past week has been a little bit nuts trying to say goodbyes and begin the packing process (how did I end up with so much more stuff than I came here with?) But most of the goodbyes started yesterday and will continue until I leave. And the intense packing and cleaning is happening today and the next couple days, along with some goodbye dinners here and there and of course, I can't miss the water fight with 502 coming up this afternoon when I go to Dong Shin for the last time.
I would appreciate any prayers, especially for peace of mind and I guess just being able to have good goodbyes and to end well. Saying goodbye is something I can never get good at no matter how much practice I've had and leaving Taiwan is super hard. One of the last goodbyes I will make (and one I am especially dreading) is the one to all the wonderful friends I've made at The Home of God's Love.
A few weeks ago when I knew the end would be approaching soon and would be extremely difficult, I decided to make a list of some things I'm looking forward to in Minnesota. Of course, compared to leaving people I love, some of these sound kind of silly (except of course, returning to other people whom I also love) but I thought I'd share some of the list with you (it's a work in progress and I haven't worked on it too much):
1) Seeing friends and family
2) No more cockroaches or giant bugs in general
3) Bread will last more than three days without molding
4) Toilet paper, soap and some kind of method of drying hands in public restrooms
5) Garbage cans in public areas (like parks, malls, etc.)
6) Good milk
7) Grilling/picnics
8) Lying in the yard
9) Mowing the lawn/yard work (let me just put a disclaimer here since I know the kind of family I have so I won't get all kinds of offers from aunts and uncles to come over to help them with their yard work. Going for a while without working in the yard at all did make me miss it a little bit, but I will get my fill of it very quickly.)
Well, that's a start although I'm sure there will be more things I remember missing once I get reunited with them! Anyway, I'd best be off for now. Perhaps if I need a break from packing or cleaning in the next few days I will post again (I'm sure I'll leave the water fight this afternoon with a few stories!) But for now, this is it!
Know why your bread will last more than 3 days in MN? Because it's full of preservatives. Avoid dyes and preservatives. Please stay safe.
ReplyDelete