Well, to continue where I left off...
The next morning I filled myself on taro buns (which I
adore) at the hotel breakfast and then we piled back onto the bus to go to an
elementary school that was big into energy efficiency, or something like
that. We had lunch there too and I found
out that food in Tainan (by now I knew that we were in Tainan County for sure)
is known for being sweet. And sure enough,
everything was sweet (and cold). The
vegetables, the meat, the other mixed dishes…it was alright, but I couldn’t
really get into it.
| This is a view of rice paddys from the school. It was super beautiful. I'm afraid the picture doesn't do it justice. |
After that we toured The Magic School of Green Technology,
which is a university. I asked why it
was called magic and they said it was just an adjective. Well, I know that, but I wanted to know why
that was picked over some other adjective, but I never did find out.
Anyway, then we went to a clothing factory that became
really eco-friendly after they had had a fire a few years ago. The ironic thing was that I smelled burning
rubber the whole time we were there, but that could have been coming from any
of the neighboring buildings I suppose.
It seemed to me that we were there a really long time. Then I thought we were finally going to leave
but we just went outside to walk around their “Happy Farm” which was a little
farm on the company’s property. I don’t
really know who tends to it, but I do know that it was getting dark and I was famished.
| These bears were positioned around the company building and the smiling bear brought me some joy at a very hungry low-point |
We finally left and went to a restaurant and the first dish
they brought out was fried rice, which was delicious. After that the next several dishes were
seafood and I didn’t have any but everyone started asking about if I was a
vegetarian so I just said that I didn’t eat seafood, but after that every dish
that came they’d be like, “Can she eat it?”
Well, I felt kind of bad so the next dish that came out I just went
ahead and grabbed a piece of. It looked
rubbery so I figured it’d just be squid or something I could choke down. Well, I couldn’t chew it at all because of it’s
rubberyness and it tasted incredibly sour and just not a flavour I wanted in my
mouth so I just swallowed the piece whole.
It didn’t really seem like the squid I’ve had before and I made the
mistake of asking what it was. “The
inside of a pig.” Oh…
Somehow I found myself putting on a huge smile and saying
something like, “Oh! I’ve never tried this before! Mmmm.” Then I promptly drank some tea and began to
eat fish to get the taste out of my mouth (which just tells you how much I didn’t
like the intestines!).
By the time we got to our new hotel in Tainan city it was too
late to see any of the city, which was unfortunate because I’ve heard it’s a
really cool place. In fact, I know
several people who say it’s their favourite city in Taiwan. But I used the massage chair in the hotel gym
and also found a bowl of bananas there, which I helped myself to.
This hotel had cereal at their breakfast so I was all over
that on Saturday morning. It was
amazing. Our only stops for that day
were some kind of museum, which seemed to have everything in it. There was a natural history part, and a part
about inventions and history of that nature, a part with a bunch of old guns and
tools, a part with lots of plants and grains, a part with information about
aquatic animals and I think some other sections but I don’t remember what they
were. It was pretty interesting to look
at, although I didn’t always know what I was looking at.
Next we went to see a water buffalo. At least that’s what I thought. Then they said it was the water buffalo’s
house, but he had died this summer (it wasn’t the same water buffalo as the
Togo village though, I checked). Anyway,
to me this place just looked like a little farm. It was nice though. Actually, it was my favourite place we
visited on the trip because there were two swings hanging from a tree branch
that I got to swing on!
| Part of the farm |
| I was loving the swing |
After this we just had to stop for lunch and then begin the
long ride home. They were saying there
were two options for the soup and we had to pick right then so they knew what
to order once we got to the restaurant.
I asked what the options were and they said, “fish ball…” and before I
heard the rest I thought, “Oh I’ll get the other one” (I can’t get into fish
ball soup, or actually fish ball anything, though I’ve tried) but then I heard
the rest of the sentence: “…or blood soup.”
Well, fish ball it is. But then I
found out they were also getting some kind of rice thing too so I opted to just
eat that and skip the soup entirely.
That was definitely a good decision.
The bus ride home was fairly uneventful. It took about 5 hours or so and the last two
and a half we had karaoke. Some people
were pretty into it and every now and then from the back of the bus I would
hear, “Charissa! English song! English song!” Each time I just kind of gave a
nervous chuckle because I didn’t know what else to do. Picking out an English song to sing didn’t
seem like a great option to me. Then at
a rest stop one of the teachers came up and said, “Charissa. We are the world.” It took me a couple times to understand even
what he was saying but then I realized he wanted me to sing We are the World. Well, as fun as that would be, I knew I didn’t
know the tune well enough to sing the whole thing even with the words, but
after that I paid more attention to the songs coming up incase someone had just
gone ahead and requested it for me. I
never did sing anything though, which was fine, because there was never really
a lull during those 2.5 hours so I figured there was no reason to take their
fun away by taking a turn myself. So here's a video I tried to discretely take of the singing. Pretty much all the singing was behind me so I didn't want to turn around to actually tape the singer, but I guess this way you can imagine exactly what the ride was like for me. This particular song was in Taiwanese.
All in all, it was quite the trip. I was glad to get back to Luodong for the
rest of the weekend, but I think it was worth the trip. Definitely an interesting experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment